NOTE: Lead time may take up to 2 Weeks to ship due to increased workloads around the shop.
This is Plug-&-Play compatible with 1997-2001+ Jeeps equipped with the AW-4 Auto Transmission. For 96 down, click here!
NOTE: 1997 was a transition year and uses a differently keyed connector then 98+!
Demo Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntXTQAsO_sc
Quick Start Guide: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fYJQO019DAMU50NfrHIOik-2jWZ5tgZ1
– Display shows Current Gear and Torque Converter Lock at all times.
1 inch is better for everyday use, while the 2 inch monster is better for racing or serious applications.
– ACC Display Switch is a bonus switch that the user can wire up to any input they like.
– If you are using the Power/Comfort switch to activate Manual Mode, Power Switch Mode sets what mode the transmission will be in for Auto Mode.
– Alt Shifter Mode sets what type of custom shifter the Nifty Shifter will accept. 4 Gear Mode gives access to all gears for normal joysticks or switched. RADesigns Rail Shifter requires 2-way support to be set if this will be used instead.
– Plug-&-Play factory connectors for a No-Cut install
– Full Manual Shifting at the flip of a switch
– Smart Circuitry keeps the CEL light off in Manual Mode and prevents limp mode in Auto.
– Use the factory PRNDL Shifter or Custom Inputs for shifting
– Optional Display shows Current Gear and TC Lock
– Supports the RADesigns Rail Shifter
The Nifty Shifter JR V1 is a Passthrough Manual Shift Controller designed for the Jeep AW-4 Automatic Transmission. This Plug-&-Play controller attaches to the Transmission Computer to give you Manual Control at the flip of a switch and shift it any way you like!
In Auto Mode, your transmission will shift normally, allowing for a permanent and painless install.
In Manual Mode, the user takes full manual control with a couple of shifter types! The Nifty Shifter can use custom switches/joysticks or the Factory PRND31 Shifter to select and hold each gear for a clean and functional solution!
The provided ribbon cable allows you to wire up any kind of switch, button, joystick, or contact you wish for your custom controlling needs. Selection Switches on the controller let you easily configure the shifter settings on the go.
– Gears 1, 2, 3, 4
– Torque Converter Lock Up
– Auto/Manual mode
– Overdrive Mode (Factory Shifter mode only, allows 2,3,4 instead of 1,2,3)
– Manual Bypass Mode (Gearbox mode only, allows gear switch to also activate manual mode)
Selection Switch configurations:
Shifter Type Switch:
Factory Shifter mode
– Uses the vehicles shifter to manually select gears (Requires working NSS)
– Minimal install required, Engine Braking available in every gear
– Uses separate inputs like a 4-speed manual transmission
– Custom setup required but gives you more control
– If optional Jumpers are set, can accept a RADesigns Rail Shifter instead
Torque Converter Mode:
Selects how the TC is controlled
– Off is Normal mode (Auto: TCU, Manual: Switch)
– On is Factory mode (TCU always controls TC, can still activate with manual tc switch)
– LED Single-Digit display shows Current Gear and TC Lock
– Optional ACC Switch can be wired to any ribbon cable input for a Ready-To-Run setup
– Designed as a self-sufficient module, so technically this could be wired directly to the TCU without a Nifty Shifter
In the Box:
– Nifty Shifter JR shift controller
– Ribbon Cable for switch wiring
– Optional Gear Display
– Instruction Manual
Notes about the AW-4 Transmission:
The Aisin Warner AW-4 4-Speed Auto Trans has 4 available gears to pick from with 4th being overdrive, as well as an electronically controlled Torque Converter Lock-up. Available Gears and Engine Braking are MECHANICALLY LIMITED and depends on the Factory Shifter Position.
Engine Braking is useful for controlled descent down hills and slowing down without using the brakes. Without Engine Braking, the engine will free spin like a bicycle if the transmission is spinning faster then it. This means you could shift into 1st on the highway and your engine would just sit at an idle, while revving it would never spin fast enough to push the transmission, just as shifting a mountain bike to 1st would require pedaling ridiculously fast to keep pushing the bike. If the factory shifter was put into D1-2 on the highway though, Engine Braking would be active and you’d be having a really bad day.
The Throttle Valve Cable connected to the Throttle Body controls shift pressure so the harder the pedal is pushed, the harder the transmission is shifted. Making sure this is properly adjusted will provide a better shifting experience.
Available Gear Map:
(Gears not listed are mechanically not possible to shift into)
– Drive = 1, 2, 3, 4
– 3rd = 1, 2, 3
– 1-2 = 1, 2
Engine Braking Map:
(Gears not listed will engine free spin when you let off the gas)
– Drive = 3, 4
– 3rd = 2, 3
– 1-2 = 1, 2
Kirk (verified owner) –
I ordered the Nifty Shifter Jr V1.2 quite a while ago for my ’98 XJ and I finally installed it before our last trip to some trails. Installation was very simple using a small switch I bought at an auto parts store. Simply plug in the Nifty Shifter and wire up the switch.
I bought this to do one thing: Select and hold my transmission in 2nd gear. On the steep, rocky trails in Colorado I need to be able to lock my transmission in 2nd gear for climbing and descending hills in low range when 3rd gear is too fast and 1st gear is too slow. This fixes that problem! I love being able to manually select gears and hold them. This is a total game changer for my rig. It makes it so much more fun (and safe) to drive on the trails. LOVE this modification!
Trevor Phillips enterprises (verified owner) –
I’ve had it awhile now just now getting it installed. The design is real small biggest thing is running wires and drilling holes for switches but other than that real easy to install the help I’ve received from nick makes me wanna buy more parts off him real helpful. Other than that it’s bad ass the luxury of auto on road and the gearing of a manual trans off road